Friday, November 10, 2006

Something I wrote

Given this is stll all shiny and new and I haven't really devised a running theme I'm not going to break it by posting this.

I was writing something to be translated into a french essay for a practice exam and I thought it turned out too well to have the nuance 'lost in translation.'

Voila:

French Essay – School Captain – Evaluative

It has been a great honour over the last year to serve in the position of School Captain. I hope my performance has met the expectations of those who selected me before the other very worth candidates and that I have made a lasting positive impact during my period as captain. Over my time in this position, I’ve had to manage my school career around the added responsibilities this role entails as well as succeed in my Year 12. Because of this experience and my success in balancing my various roles I’ve been asked to write this article – to give you, candidates for next year for this position, an inside view of what its like. For some of you it may strengthen your resolve to pursue it, for other it may become apparent that the role poses too much difficulty and complication. I write this merely so you can make an informed decision.

Firstly, managing a large study load alongside with meetings, duties and out of school time commitments is tough. Year 12 requires that students spend approximately 20 hours outside of school time studying. Lunchtimes and breaks are a very necessary relief from class for most students. Captains, however, find many of their breaks occupied by organizational meetings for sports carnivals, assemblies, and theatrical productions among other minutiae of school life.

Next is downside of responsibility. While you are in control of many things and you can use this to see your creative vision spring to life, if everything falls in a heap, you are also responsible.

A position of importance and visibility also requires you to maintain good behaviour essentially at all times. This can become constricting and annoying.

Of course leadership has its unconditional perks. Access to the prefects lounge is always nice. Badges and other leadership paraphernalia make your blazer ‘bling.’ You’re the only one allowed this too! On a more serious note, you can actually make a difference in the school. If you don’t like something there is no one better positioned that you to make a change. Equally, if someone’s in trouble or struggling you can speak to teachers virtually on their level to create change.

The inside information is now at your disposal; the rest is up to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home